Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Christmas Plan


As Christmas is fast approaching, I was trying to figure out a way to simplify our Christmas. I ran across this cute little poem on someone's blog and decided that this was a great way to simplify and save at Christmas this year. Each child will get four presents:

Something you Want
Something you Need
Something to Wear
and Something to Read

I thought this was genius! Four presents for each child is still 20 presents under the tree along with a gift from "Santa Clause" and other miscellaneous gifts from extended family. So after I talked it over with Seth, we presented the new idea to the kids at dinner. The first response was confusion. Then I could see realization spread across Ashley's face and she said, "So we're just doing this this year and NEXT year we'll have a GOOD Christmas?" What do you say to that??

9 comments:

Ranell said...

I love it! Can I copy? Every year about this time I try to come up with a plan for Christmas, but I've never gotten it quite figured out. This, I can do!

Pepple said...

We started doing this last year and its been great! I am already done with my Christmas shopping for this year because this simplifies my shopping so much! Its also nice because its so easy to get just one more present. Oh and we have tweaked it a little so sometimes a need or a wear is a little more fun for one child. Aidan is getting a new wii remote as his "need" for this year because well we do need another one :)

kellie said...

Her response is funny! My kids would say the same thing. I would be more excited about that than Shayne, he is a total sucker!

Anderson Clan said...

Thanks for finally posting some pictures, Anna! The Halloween costumes were so cute, and I have also learned that simple birthday parties are WAY better.I love your Christmas idea, too. My friend was just telling me that they do something similar. They get each of their kids 3 simple gifts, 1 from Santa, and then a nicer "family" gift. Last year, the family gift was laser tag guns for the whole family. I thought that was a great idea too.

top knot extensions said...

I think that is a GREAT idea!!! Your kids say the funniest things!!!

Sherri Romney said...

That sounds like a great plan! So funny what Ashley said though...I laughed out loud!!!

Babbel Family said...

A good friend of mine does that. I think it is a good idea but it would be me to struggle with that, not the kids! I am such a brat.

Sherri Romney said...

We will be at the reunion for sure! It will be fun to see you there!!!

Kell said...

What a great idea! I love her responce to this! I will have to use this!