Thursday, October 8, 2009

Speaking in Sacrament Meeting

Seth and I have been asked to speak in Sacrament meeting on Sunday in our new ward here in Tucson. Kind of scary. We've been asked to speak on General Conference. So for all of you who watched the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints last weekend, give me your favorite talk, or your general impressions, or anything that inspired you to do better or change something in your life or your family. I need your feedback!

My personal favorite talk was Elder Jeffery R. Holland's talk on the divinity of the Book of Mormon, it was INCREDIBLE! I also had a general feeling that many talks given were on Love and God's Love for us and extending Love to others. What are your impressions?

11 comments:

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

several talks spoke of the Holy Ghost and listening to the Spirit. Ryan LOVED Elder Bednar's talk Sat. morning. good luck! I just spoke about a month ago. Poor Allison is up to bat this week. Ryan asked her. I hope we're still friends?!

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

As Shannon mentioned, I thought Elder Bednar's talk, while not as powerful in its delivery as Elder Holland's, (Elder Holland is my favorite) was an absolutely incredible eye opener for me personally. I am in charge of talks in our ward for October. When you finish this week, would you be willing to bring your show on the road? Just kidding?
Ryan

The Andersons: said...

My friend posted on her blog about a talk given by Pres. Mondon Sunday morning advising us "to not get caught up in the thick of thin things." I have to admit that I must not have been paying much attention because I missed it Sunday morning, but since I read it on her blog on Monday morning, I have caught myself thinking about that little saying often enough. Especially as a mom, how much of all the stuff that I'm busy doing and stressing over, could be described as a "thin" thing? Good luck! The only part I enjoy about speaking in sacrament meeting is sitting on the stand watching someone else struggle to keep my children quiet!

Mel said...

Loved Pres. Hollands Talk. I would be scared to replicate it though. I loved Sunday Afternoon Session. I also loved the Service talks. Good luck! Carl and I just spoke :)

kip and allison said...

Anna, how are you? Shannon and I want to come visit you. If I survive today, I have to talk also. Good luck.

Babbel Family said...

I loved D. Todd Christophersons talk on Sunday afternoon. And how people use the "agency" card as an excuse to not parent their child (that is my words, not his). Here is what I loved in his words...

"I have heard a few parents state that they don’t want to impose the gospel on their children but want them to make up their own minds about what they will believe and follow. They think that in this way they are allowing children to exercise their agency. What they forget is that the intelligent use of agency requires knowledge of the truth, of things as they really are (see D&C 93:24). Without that, young people can hardly be expected to understand and evaluate the alternatives that come before them. Parents should consider how the adversary approaches their children. He and his followers are not promoting objectivity but are vigorous, multimedia advocates of sin and selfishness."

Anna Marks said...

Thanks everyone for your input!! I used the talk on Virtues from Bishop Burton and the talk on Moral Discipline from Elder Christofferson. I did an O.K. job, you can always tell if people in the audience are smiling or not. They really didn't smile too much, so I say it was average. It's over, hurray!! Hopefully, I don't have to worry about that for several years!

Nicolds6 said...

i am sooo glad i found your blog!!! your family is beautiful!!!

Nicolds6 said...

ps I liked Elder Bednars Saturday talk!!!!!

kellie said...

You did a great job Anna. I told SHayne not to use foul language in front of the Mark's van anymore:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna! Just wanted to say I like your blog! I'll add you to my list- our blog is therandrshow.blogspot.com. I also have a fitness blog: bellybabybody.blogspot.com. Hopefully we will get a chance to talk some more being in Activity Day together. :)